b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Re: 1 Samuel 15 & Punishment

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
  • To: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Re: 1 Samuel 15 & Punishment
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:53:00 +0000

Then we are in agreement. Ameleq in the time of Moses
committed a religious sin. Ameleq in the time of Saul paid
the price for that sin, albeit 200 or more years later.

> From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
> Date: 2005/04/25 Mon AM 11:07:24 GMT
> To: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
> CC: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: Re: 1 Samuel 15 & Punishment
>
> Amalek committed a religious sin of opposing the divine
will.
> I'd also suggest that nations are considered as a whole
and immutable.
> Indeed, this is how modern societies operate, as well:
nations suffer wars
> because of transgressions of a few, and past grievances
come out.
> The logic of fathers and sons is inapplicable to nations.
Perhaps, it is
> only applied to neighbors, as many other commandments. In
other words,
> individual responsibility works inside Israelite society,
but not in outside
> relations.
>
> Vadim Cherny
>

> > Here is the text I read in both Engish (NAS) and
Hebrew:

> > Thus says the LORD of hosts, 'I will punish Amalek for
what
> > he did to Israel, how he set himself against him on the
way
> > while he was coming up from Egypt.
> >
> > e&-r$) le) r&yl qelm( h&( -r$) te) yTdqP tw)bc hwhy
rm)hK
> > .eyrcMm wtl(B jrDB wl
> >
> > The idea of wiping out Amelek did not come from Saul
but
> > from Yahweh through Samuel to Saul. The idea was that
> > instead of just attacking Amelek as any other enemy,
i.e.
> > fighting the solders and leaving the non-combatants
alone,
> > everyone and everything would be attacked and
destroyed.
> > The justification for depatrue from normal practice was
the
> > sin Amelek had committed two hundred years earlier of
> > attacking Isreal as they left Egypt.
> >
> > I certainly don't mean to offend but the text seems
quite
> > straight forward and unambiguous.
> >
> > Jack Tladatsi

Jack Tladatsi