b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] God vs angels in Ps 8:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] God vs angels in Ps 8:5
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:04:02 -0500

Looking at this passage, it can be translated a couple of ways into English:

the way that seems best to me is to remember that )LHYM is sometimes used in
plural where we would use a singular in English, so "You have made him lack
(only) a little from (being) a god, you have surrounded (crowned) him with
honor and grandeur." (that in paranthesis to make the English read more
easily)

The other is to leave off the "a" in front of "god" which makes the whole a
lot more awkward, as you say.

Karl W. Randolph.