b-hebrew - SV: [b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Thomas L. Thompson" <tlt AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "Ingrid Hjelm" <ingrid_hjelm AT hotmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: ihj AT hum.ku.dk
  • Subject: SV: [b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:27:23 +0100

Dear Yitzhaq,

With considerable hesitation, I would say that Ingrid's work engages your
arguments particularly in what she sees as supersessionist developments of
the specifically Jerusalem traditions of the so-called deuteronomistic and
Davidic traditions. It is in her chapter 4 of Jerusalem's Rise to Sovereignty
("Deuteronomist vs. Jahwist" 169-222), in which she deals with both the
common ground of the two traditions as well as their competitive roles. She
opens this discussion by engaging Van Seters in debate. She then takes up the
question of the status of the law and the conflicts implicit to the David and
Moses traditions. This is in Chapter 5 (223-253).

I don't think chronology is one of Hjelm's primary concerns and I have some
doubts that she finds redaction theories of the Deuteronomistic history--and
in particular a "pre-exilic" stage of Dtr, terribly convincing as the first
three chapters of her book disputes such theory in considerable detail. In
any case, one would have to make separate arguments for continuities in
tradition and continuities in population and cult. I don't know how much you
would agree with her suggestions that the Jewish adoption of the Pentateuch
is Persian period or later.

Thomas

Thomas L. Thompson

Professor, University of Copenhagen