b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Chris Weimer <cweb255 AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 01:18:04 +0000

On 20/03/2005 21:18, Chris Weimer wrote:

&gt; Yitzhak, I don't want to open up another long discussion on this issue.
&gt; My rather quick reply to Chris was based more in the terms which I think
&gt; he would understand i.e. taking the text of the book of Kings fairly
&gt; literally. And I realise that this is not an entirely safe thing to do.
&gt; Even in 2 Kings itself e.g. 23:15-20 there is evidence that the Samaria
&gt; district was under the control of Jerusalem after the end of the
&gt; northern kingdom.
Hold on a minute, how do you get that I take Kings historically? Let me clarify myself a bit, I was referring to the myriad Asherah and Baal inscriptions that the Yisrael was a polytheistic country, while the southern Yahwists didn't really exert their control until after the exile, and then not even right away (the number of deportees largely exaggerated). What are the latest inscriptions of other deities in the North.

Chris Weimer, I was not referring to you but to Chris Watts(?) who started this thread about Samaritan. Sorry for any confusion.

&gt; This is perhaps a latest possible date for the split, but it is not an
&gt; earliest one. There is no particular reason why the already separated
&gt; Judeans and Samaritans could not have used the palaeo-Hebrew script in
&gt; parallel from say the 5th to the 1st century BCE, at least for religious
&gt; puposes to preserve the already centuries-old tradition. In fact it
&gt; seems that the Judeans came to prefer the Aramaic-based Hebrew script at
&gt; least towards the end of this period, perhaps simply because it was
&gt; different from the Samaritans' preferred script.
Which is why I put it at the 3rd century, a reasonable time placement.

Not when there is strong evidence that there was already a deep (although not necessarily irreconcilable) split in the 6th-5th century.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)