b-hebrew - Re: SV: [b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Thomas L. Thompson" <tlt AT teol.ku.dk>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, ihj AT hum.ku.dk
  • Subject: Re: SV: [b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:18:31 -0800 (PST)

"Thomas L. Thompson" <tlt AT teol.ku.dk> wrote:inter alia:
"Dear forum,
I had intended to point out that Hjelm argues that there was not a split, but
rather never had been a unity between these two distinct peoples: Jews and
Samaritans.
Thomas"

It may be a bit too early to arrive at a definite conclusion, certainly
about such an arbitrary theoretical concept as "peoplehood".

Based on available evcidence, prior to the major findings that have yet to
be published, the the relationship between these two distinct groups would
be better described as kindred federations.

To mention only few of the reasons for the statement above, there is
evidence of 1. A common language; the dialectical variations attested are
less than those among various currenrt Arabic or German dialects. 2. A
Common deitiy 3. Similarity of ritual: compare absence of pig bones in
Zartel's alter and in the Beth Shemesh site, the first in the North, the
second in South and both in contradistinction to various Philistine centers.

Best,

Uri

.

http://mail.yahoo.com
>From yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com Sun Mar 20 12:27:58 2005

h=received:message-id:date:from:reply-to:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:references;

b=srNoSWWahMegKdXQCuWJAgOl9fS/WktMJbndfjUmxx9/yH7hjqBsLQhdhuf3ftI6QYOnqjJOSzlgZbIQQxTRE4fvBwhFAA3o8fOT252AJWQG885yD8A9nclWsgI5m5E2eOu9k3yRGKX5hoJEy3DUb3vvBD2ASfG86eQs6M9f1nM=