b-hebrew - SV: [b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Thomas L. Thompson" <tlt AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>, "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: SV: [b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:21:05 +0100

Dear forum,
I had intended to point out that Hjelm argues that there was not a split, but
rather never had been a unity between these two distinct peoples: Jews and
Samaritans.
Thomas

In responding to Yitzhaq Sapir's remarks,

>I do not intend to enter a historical discussion with you, unless
you intend
>to be prepared to back up your objections and claims where they
differ
>from the currently established scholarly consensus or a major
scholarly
>position.

Peter Kirk had responded:

Well, on this issue there doesn't exactly seem to be an established
consensus, from what Thomas Thompson and Kevin Edgecomb have just said
on this list. (I am surprised to find myself in agreement with
Thompson,
but at least no one can accuse him of biblical fundamentalism!) And I
don't accept that any one "major scholarly opinion" is sufficiently
weighty that I have to argue against it in detail. But I have
presented
some of my own evidence for an earlier split, to which can be added
the
evidence from the excavations on Mount Gerizim. Of course such an
early
split was not necessarily complete, final and formalised until much
later, and there may have been periods of mutual cooperation over a
long
period before that final split.