b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is 9:6 Mem clausum?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tigran Aivazian <tigran AT bibles.org.uk>
  • To: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is 9:6 Mem clausum?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:38:38 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Dave Washburn wrote:

On Thursday 17 March 2005 12:54, wattswestmaas wrote:
Hallo, Could someone perhaps offer some ideas as to why the 'mem' in the
word for: 'increase' is written this way?
Thankyou, Chris.

Based on the Qere correction by the Masoretes, it looks like a simple scribal
error.

Incidentally, if anybody uses the free Westminster Leningrad Codex module, the
Qere here has an error in it. Rather than showing the final mem, it shows
exactly the same form as the Qere, but with a different accent. If somebody
from that project is on this list, that's an FYI. If you can tell me how to
fix it in my copy (I'm using GnomeSword with the Ezra SIL font) that would be
a Very Good Thing (TM).

I have checked the actual facsimile of L and also the reasonably latest (4.3) Westminster Leningrad Codex source and confirm that, indeed, WLC doesn't match B19A at Isa 9:6 wrt final mem.

The PDF version of WLC is still at v4.2 at the moment but I hope to find some time to move it to 4.3 soon.

I can't remember if the Michigan encoding actually allows such things like "m<EOW>" i.e. to force a final mem in the middle of the word. If it doesn't, then I will manually fix this for Isa 9:6 when I upload 4.3 version of WLC-B19A.pdf to www.bibles.org.uk.

Shalom
Tigran