b-hebrew - Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <cmeadows3 AT verizon.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:08:37 -0600

Greetings,

I was looking to see if the "B Aramaic" still existed but perhaps it does
not. I've been looking at some various Aramaic grammars. Pretty thin
pickings. I have the works by Alger Johns and Stevenson. I have not seen
Greenspahn or Rosenthal but I hear they are good (esp the latter). Anyone
here familiar with David Marcus' grammar or the volume on "Galilean Aramaic"
by Caspar Levias? Perhaps the Bergstrasser and Brockelmann give a good
overview of Aramaic?

I feel pretty confident with Hebrew and I'm mostly concerned with the
biblical era (non-Syriac) Aramaic. It seems that most of the available
grammar just concentrate on the small portions of Aramaic in the bible and
ignore the DSS, Targums, and other important writings.

Any thoughts?

Thanx.
C Meadows
Marshall Univeristy