b-hebrew - Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: cmeadows3 AT verizon.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:38:50 -0500

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:08:37 -0600 <cmeadows3 AT verizon.net> writes:
> Greetings,
>
> I was looking to see if the "B Aramaic" still existed but perhaps it
> does not. I've been looking at some various Aramaic grammars.
> Pretty thin pickings. I have the works by Alger Johns and
> Stevenson. I have not seen Greenspahn or Rosenthal but I hear they
> are good (esp the latter). Anyone here familiar with David Marcus'
> grammar or the volume on "Galilean Aramaic" by Caspar Levias?
> Perhaps the Bergstrasser and Brockelmann give a good overview of
> Aramaic?
>
> I feel pretty confident with Hebrew and I'm mostly concerned with
> the biblical era (non-Syriac) Aramaic. It seems that most of the
> available grammar just concentrate on the small portions of Aramaic
> in the bible and ignore the DSS, Targums, and other important
> writings.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanx.
> C Meadows
> Marshall Univeristy
> USA
______________________

I took Aramaic many years ago in seminary, but have had precious little
use for it since then because so little in the OT in in Aramaic. Logos
is coming out with the Targumim from the Comprehensive Aramaic Project
and I have their Dead Sea Scrolls Study Edition which has Aramaic in it
so I ordered Greenspahn in the Logos edition when it was on prepub. It
has sections on inscriptions, letters, Dead Sea Scrolls, Midrash and
Targum though I haven't had a chance to look through it in any depth. I
would recommend it on the basis of some review(s) which I read of it
(RBL, I think) and the fact that Logos books are extremely easy to search
for any topic / word / passage which you might want to find. It's
written for those who already know Hebrew.

http://www.logos.com/products/details/2059

george
gfsomsel