b-hebrew - Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: <cmeadows3 AT verizon.net>, "Trevor Peterson" <abuian AT access4less.net>, "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 17:50:56 -0600

There was no "Galilean Aramaic" during the time of Jesus who spoke Judean Aramaic but, perhaps with a Galilean "twang" which included dropped glotta stops, softer consonants and pharygeal fricatives. This is a pronounciation issue, however, and not a dialect. Galilean Aramaic came about later during the Mishnaic period and was probably influenced by Syriac. There were about 7 different dialects of Aramaic in use in Palestine during the time of Jesus, given its "crossroads" nature. Jewish Old Palestinian, Old East Jordanian, Old Judean, (The dialect of the ossuarial inscriptions, Jesus, Josephus, Wadi Suwenit, Masada ostraca and Qumran receipts. ) as examples. Middle Judean and Galilean were 2nd and 3rd century dialects.

Jack

----- Original Message ----- From: <cmeadows3 AT verizon.net>