b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "their altars" or "his/its altars"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "their altars" or "his/its altars"?
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:05:57 -0700

On Monday 07 March 2005 11:06, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
> Dave Washburn wrote:
> > Martin Shields wrote:
> > > It would appear that Exod 34:13 is preserved in
> > > 4QpaleoExod(m). Unfortunately I don't have ready access
> > > to a copy, but perhaps someone can determine whether that
> > > manuscript agrees with the MT?
> >
> > It reads )$RYW, the only word of that verse that has survived.
>
> How is such a fragment united with other fragments so that it is
> identified with 4QpaleoExod(l)? Are there methods for comparison
> of the scroll itself to determine that it is the same sheet of
> leather?

Among other things, the paleo-Hebrew writing is a good start. There weren't
too many mss written in that script. The Exodus content, plus the
handwriting, pretty well solidify the identification as part of the larger
scroll. According to the DJD material (beginning at page 53 of DJD volume
9), this was originally a fairly large manuscript; the verse in question was
in column 40. Beyond that, since this aspect of scroll research isn't my
field, I go with what the editors said. I only skimmed the introduction, but
it appears that the type, quality, color etc. of the leather of the various
fragments is quite uniform, as well. AFAIK, there haven't been any
challenges to the inclusion of these fragments as part of the 4Qpaleo-Exod
scroll.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur