b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] "their altars" or "his/its altars"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Deborah Millier <deborahmillier AT yahoo.com>
  • To: hebrew listserve <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] "their altars" or "his/its altars"?
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 18:23:28 -0800 (PST)

Dora Smith wrote:

<snip>

> Asherah was Yahweh's wife . . .

Actually Dora, the above thought hit me as I read
):aS"RaYW , but there was nothing in the surrounding
biblical context to support it, so I quickly dismissed
it as a viable option.

Please (to list members), rather than letting the
discussion get derailed over what forms ancient
Israelite religion possibly took, I’d like to explore
the text as is. Why ):aS"RaYW in Exo 34:13 and not a
plural possessive? What might best explain the
evidence? If not a consort for YHWH, then what . . . ?

--Michael Millier
Manila, Philippines

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!