b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "their altars" or "his/its altars"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Dora Smith <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • Cc: hebrew listserve <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Deborah Millier <deborahmillier AT yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "their altars" or "his/its altars"?
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 17:12:37 +0000

On 04/03/2005 16:07, Dora Smith wrote:

Just one thing it sounds like you may not be aware of;

Asherah was Yahweh's wife. She was also Ba'al's wife. ...

I don't know about Michael, but I am indeed aware that there has been speculation along these lines, on the basis of a single (I think) inscription from outside the land of Israel, somewhere in Sinai I think.

... It was a quite
syncretistic religion. ...

What religion? Possibly the religion of some Edomites or whoever lived in Sinai at the time. Perhaps even of some apostate Israelites. But not the religion of the Israelites which is taught in the Hebrew Bible.

But I suppose this verse might be polemic against such blasphemous attribution of a wife to the One Creator God.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)