b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] David or Elhanan?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] David or Elhanan?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:18:30 -0500

Brian:

Who's "inventing" a second Goliath? Do you mean to imply that it was
impossible for two distinctly different people to share the same name, in
this case Goliath?

The stories of the killings are so different that it raises more questions to
combine them than to allow that two different individuals shared the same
name. The first was years before David ascended the throne, the second after
David was aging and declining in strength, the first David stepped boldly out
where the army feared to tread, the second after the army commanded David not
to step out on the field of battle, and so forth. Is it possible that the
second Golaith was a son of the first? It sounds as if enough years passed
between the two killings to make it possible.

Just as in my family I had an uncle and have a cousin who have the same first
and last names as I, so I have no trouble in allowing the text to speak for
itself, that there were two different individuals who shared the same name,
and probably from the same family where it is possible that the second was
named after the first.

Karl W. Randolph.