b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] David or Elhanan?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Revdpickrel AT wmconnect.com
  • To: kwrandolph AT email.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] David or Elhanan?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:30:43 EST

In a message dated 1/27/2005 2:19:22 PM Central Standard Time,
kwrandolph AT email.com writes:

> Who's "inventing" a second Goliath? Do you mean to imply that it was
> impossible for two distinctly different people to share the same name, in
> this case
> Goliath?
>
> The stories of the killings are so different that it raises more questions
> to combine them than to allow that two different individuals shared the
> same
> name. The first was years before David ascended the throne, the second
> after
> David was aging and declining in strength, the first David stepped boldly
> out
> where the army feared to tread, the second after the army commanded David
> not
> to step out on the field of battle, and so forth. Is it possible that the
> second Golaith was a son of the first? It sounds as if enough years passed
> between the two killings to make it possible.

Hi Karl,
I think the wording has confused Brian. Goliath the Philistine and Goliath
of Gath are one of the same people. The battle was between Goliath of Gath
the
Philistine champion and David the Hebrew: -- Romanized, 1 Samuel 17:4
"wayeetsee' 'iysh-habeenayim mimaxanowt plishtiym gaalyaat shmow migat
gaabhow
sheesh 'amowt waazaaret."

Doug Pickrel
Tejas Valley