b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 49:10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 49:10
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:41:18 -0500

Peter:

If I remember correctly, the question that started this discussion asked if
the LXX correctly translated the text of Genesis 49:10. I think that it is
safe to conclude that the answer is "No."

Secondly, in Ezekiel 21:32 HM$P+ is not the subject of the verb, unless if
counted as part of a subject phrase "he whose is judgment". (Here English
adds a subordinate clause to make clear what is said in Hebrew.)

You mentioned that you thought the translator(s) of Genesis knew Greek well
but sometimes translated excessively literally: to me excessive literalness
is a sign that the translator does not know the target language that well.

I think we have gone about as far as we can go with this discussion of a
passage where reasonable people are not 100% sure of its meaning.

Oh yes, now I remember, the original question was is it possible to split
$YLH into $Y and LH? Concerning LH, it is pretty certain that it is an
archaic form of LW. As for $Y, it is used only three times, all in contexts
that imply a meaning of "praise", always with the verb YBL. So what could it
mean here? How would it fit in? It seems to me that understanding this verse
as having $Y LH raises more questions that it answers.

Is there any DSS attestation for this verse? Does it differ from an unpointed
Masoretic text?

While I prefer at this time to saying the meaning is "until comes the one to
whom they ( $B+ & MXQQ ) belong", I admit to harboring doubts that this is
the correct reading.

Karl W. Randolph.