b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Re: Usage of Various Bible Translations

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Re: Usage of Various Bible Translations
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 18:57:33 -0500

At 06:52 PM 1/8/2005, you wrote:

This is a very good comment. I have many times had discussions with people who want to tell me what my Bible says, when they cannot read a word of it, even after taking some classes in the language. There is a big difference between taking some classes, and having fluency in a language.

Ain't that the truth! And thanks for sharing this anecdote. I thought I was the only one irritated by dilettantish know it alls. There's nothing more profoundly ignorant than quoting someone like Strong's and pretending that one knows a biblical language while never having taken the time to seriously study it. And the remarkable thing is that such folk will argue with you till they are blue in the face. Ugh.

Jim

Jim West, ThD

http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com Biblical Theology Weblog