b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Re: Usage of Various Bible Translations

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Jerry Shepherd <jerry.shepherd AT taylor-edu.ca>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Re: Usage of Various Bible Translations
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 15:28:41 -0500

At 03:14 PM 1/7/2005, you wrote:
Chuck,
I have less and less confidence
that in many churches the leadership is able to make the distinctions.

Jerry

Even when I was in Seminary (late 80's) Greek and Hebrew were no longer required for MDiv students. A few of us intrepid souls took both and were viewed as oddities. Many a time some classmate or other denounced the "waste of time" that such study entailed. My pat response was, "if the Bible is the text you preach from, and you use a translation, you are simply taking someone else's word for what it says".

Church leaders today are, by and large, utterly ignorant of the bible and what it says. They get their sermons from idiotic sermon books because they cant think for themselves. So it shouldn't surprise any of us that lay people have no clue and run to read horrid versions.

Jim

Jim West, ThD

http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com Biblical Theology Weblog