b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Job 34.10-29 (was: Syntax of Jeremiah 15:12)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: kwrandolph AT email.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Job 34.10-29 (was: Syntax of Jeremiah 15:12)
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 17:34:36 -0500

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 11:25:08 -0500 "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
writes:
> George:
>
> To be honest, I’m not sure what the first half of that verse means.
>
> ȯچηȯÈ̆χ†Á˜¯
> YR( KBYRYM L) XQR
>
> If YR( is a qal verb, should it not agree in aspect with the second
> verb in the verse? With the effect of the waw on switching aspect,
> should that not make the qal verb a perfective aspect, in other
> words, another example of YR( as its root?
>
> And my questions based on etymologies calls into question the
> assigning the meaning of “mighty ones” to KBYRYM. And you have no
> answer for that.
>
> One option is to make YR( a perfective verb, so that it would read,
> “He shook out uninvestigable vastnesses and made others stand in
> their place.” referring to God’s actions.
>
> You have staked out a position that Job 34:24 is the primary proof
> passage for the existance of R(( II root with the meaning of
> smashing, to apply it to Jeremiah 15:12, but you have not
> demonstrated how it can be so.
>
> As a person who is largely self-taught in Hebrew, I am not impressed
> by the mere statements of “experts”, I need to know _why_ they made
> those statements. And if I don’t see their logic, I’ll say so. I’m
> willing to be the boy who cries out, “The emporer has no clothes!”
>
> As a lexicographer, to be certain of the meaning of a lexeme, a
> proof passage to demonstrate that meaning needs to be clear with no
> questions. Unfortunately, that is often not the case—often there are
> no clear proof passages to use to discern the meaning of lexemes,
> particularly for lexemes used five times or fewer in Tanakh. In
> those cases we use etymologies, cognate languages and earlier
> translation (e.g. LXX) and from those make a guess.
>
> There are no clear proof passages demonstrating the existance of the
> R(( II root. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist, just that the case
> for it is very weak. Of the five times Lisowski claims it is used,
> there are grammatical and/or translation reasons in three of the
> verses to question its existance, and the other two verses are
> unclear. BDB claimed that there are a few more examples of its use,
> but even other lexicographers question those.
>
> In closing, you made the claim that Job 34:24 proves the existance
> of the R(( II root. How?
>
> Karl W. Randolph.
____________________
Karl,

Here is my rendition of Job 34.10-29

This is the speech of Elihu to Job

10 Therefore, hear me, you reflective men.
Forbid to God wickedness
And to Shaddai injustice
11 According to the work of man He requites him
And as man's way He recompenses.
12 Truly indeed, God will not act wickedly
Nor Shaddai pervert judgment
13 Who foisted the earth upon Him?
Who imposed the whole world?
14 If He should set His mind
His spirit and breath is removed to Himself,
15 All flesh will perish together
And man will return to the dust.
16 If [you are] understanding hear this;
Heed the the sound of my speech.
17 Shall even he who hates it administer justice?
Will you condemn the righteous, mighty [One]?
18 Him who says to the king, "[You are] worthless!"
To the nobles, "[You are] criminals!"
19 Who does not fawn on princes
Nor pass over the plea of the poor
For the work of His hands are they all.
20 Suddenly, — they die
At midnight they convulse and pass on
The mighty depart untouched.
21 For His eyes are upon the ways of man
All his steps He sees.
22 There is no darkness or deep shadow
That evildoers may hide there
23 For no other [time] has He established for man
To come to God for judgment.
24 He smashes the mighty unhesitatingly
And establishes others after them.
25 Truly He observes their deeds,
Overthrows them at night
And they are crushed.
26 On account of wickedness He assails them
In a place in full view.
27 Because they turned aside from after Him
And all His ways they did not consider
28 To cause the cry of the poor to come before Him
But He heard the cry of the humble.
29 When He is quiet then who condemns?
When He hides [His] face, then who can regard Him?
Either nation or individual?
george
gfsomsel