b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Re: paraphrases, etc

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles Rempel" <CharlesR AT mygalaxyexpress.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Re: paraphrases, etc
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:51:53 -0600

Ran across these two quotes recently and thought they were very fitting.

An earlier (John Calvin/1530) cleric at Orleans had warned, “we are finding
now a new language called [Greek]. We must avoid it at all costs, for this
language gives birth to heresies. Especially beware of the New Testament in
Greek; it is a book full of thorns and prickles.” Sam Wellman

“He is no theologian who is not first a grammarian.” All correct theology
must pay careful attention to the grammar of the Greek text, for a person is
correctly understood only when his hearer or reader applies the rules of
grammar which the speaker or writer uses. The Holy Spirit adheres to the
grammar rules and idioms of the Koine Greek of the time when the New
Testament was written. It is for us to learn those rules and interpret the
Greek text accordingly. Then an interpreter of Scripture is on perfectly
solid ground. He is far less likely to make a mistake in interpretation when
using the Greek than when using a translation. Wuest

Charles D. Rempel
26 year intermittent student
Without Portfolio