b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: paraphrases, etc

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: paraphrases, etc
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 19:25:48 -0500

You know, this whole discussion makes it fairly clear why the Catholic Church discouraged the average Christian from reading the Bible for him or herself until the reforms of Vatican II. The argument was, the poor folk simply don't have the wherewithal to understand the text and they will, bless their hearts, mess it up!

Perhaps this is indeed true. We all know the great ignorance present in terms of basic biblical literacy, even with the proliferation of translations.

But I think the situation calls for precisely more literal renderings that are harder to understand so that folk are driven to inquire of someone who may know what the text means rather than the usual response which is, as one of my college prof's called it, a "pooling of ignorance bible study" where folk sit around a room talking about things they have absolutely no clue about.

Back to literal translations! Enough of the watered down drivel that is making people more ignorant, not better informed.

;-)

Best

Jim

Jim West, ThD