b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: paraphrases, etc

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: paraphrases, etc
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:17:19 +0000

On 07/01/2005 00:25, Jim West wrote:

But I think the situation calls for precisely more literal renderings that are harder to understand so that folk are driven to inquire of someone who may know what the text means rather than the usual response which is, as one of my college prof's called it, a "pooling of ignorance bible study" where folk sit around a room talking about things they have absolutely no clue about.

Well, pick your own teacher is better I suppose than having one imposed on you by the Inquisition. But who is to know what teacher to trust? These days you can find on the Internet and elsewhere all kinds of people claiming that they have studied the Bible in depth and discovered what it is all about - and they will tell you if you sign up for their course, or sometimes even for free. Unfortunately many of these people don't have a clue about the Bible, but are simply trying to impose their personal or sectarian opinions on it.

Back to literal translations! Enough of the watered down drivel that is making people more ignorant, not better informed.

;-)

Yes! Let's go further and purge the Internet of this kind of drivel, and make it illegal to teach the Bible without a licence from the Inquisition!

;-)

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)