b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Mizpeh in LXX, a question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Mizpeh in LXX, a question
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 10:05:44 +0200

I was under impression that dagesh kal is absent from LXX and Secunda. But it
is there in the place name Mizpeh. Could anyone explain this?

Perhaps the explanation is simple, I just don't see it out of hand. Are there
other cases of dagesh kal in Greek transliterations? There are few b's in
place names with suffix -on, such as Helbon, but they are not necessarily
caused by dagesh kal since beta could be naturally pronounced close to bet.

Vadim Cherny