b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hagah and Siyach

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hagah and Siyach
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:56:24 -0500

The way I see it, there really isn't anything special about these terms.

HGH has the basic meaning of "to mutter". In the days before silent reading
was common, most people muttered outloud as they read, so it was also used in
reference to reading to oneself.

%YX to talk to oneself, putting one’s thoughts into words, hence also to
speak softly

There's a certain amount of crossover between the two terms, in other words
some times it doesn't matter which term is used. An example of where the
terms are used for basically the same idea is Psalm 143:5, as part of poetic
parallelism.

Karl W. Randolph.