b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Stoney Breyer" <stoneyb AT touchwood.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:00:12 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: b-hebrew-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:b-hebrew-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Peter Kirk
>>Third, Derrida says that the written word preceded the spoken. I never

>>understood this tho, but maybe you do.
>
>Does he really say this? ...
>Or is he speaking in some kind of riddle?

It's been decades since I read Derrida, but as I recall it's a sort of
myth for denying that the written word should be treated as an
inadequate substitute for the spoken word. Writing has an ambiguous
presence very different - and not derivative - from the 'real presence'
of spoken logos. It's all very Philosophical: as you say, a kind of
riddle.

Stoney Breyer
Writer/touchwood