b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:29:45 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Lisbeth S. Fried [mailto:lizfried AT umich.edu]
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 9:43 AM
To: 'Vadim Cherny'

Dear Vadim,
I haven't been following this thread, but I want to point out, if it hasn't
been pointed out before, that Akkadian is derived from Sumerian and
that Sumerian and Egyptian hieroglyphs vie for the status of oldest
written language (along with Mayan). Maybe this was all said before.
Second, many Hebrew roots have only two letters, qm, b), lk, $b, tb, r(, and
these
are the most common. It is easy to see how these could have started out
as grunts.
Third, Derida says that the written word preceded the spoken. I never
understood this tho, but maybe you do.
Liz