b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Samuel 6:19 'date cake' & 'raisin cake'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Samuel 6:19 'date cake' & 'raisin cake'
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:22:01 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>

> On 21/09/2004 19:43, Karl Randolph wrote:
>
> >Brian:
> >
> >The problem is that neither word is used in a context that clearly shows
> >the definitions.
> >
> >)$Y$H is used only 3 times, )$PR only twice. Unless there is a clear
> >definition from cognate languages and/or early translations, to define
> >these words is guess work.
> >
> >)$Y$H seems related to )$Y$ which is a grape vine, or maybe a variety
> >thereof, so it makes sense that it has something to do with raisins,
> >possibly a type of fruitcake.
> >
> >Any clues from cognates or translations?
> >

> I never thought I would see you ask that question, Karl!
>
> But in this case, not much, according to my BDB. )$YSH might be related
> to Arabic 'ss "found, establish" (which fits better with the verb form
> in Isaiah 46:8), but if so the semantic link is distant to say the
> least. And no link is suggested for )$PR, although of course it might be
> related to $PR "be beautiful".
>
> --
> Peter Kirk
> peter AT qaya.org (personal)
> peterkirk AT qaya.org (work)
> http://www.qaya.org/

Peter:

It’s been awhile since I last asked that question, and I will ask it again.

)$Y$ in Isaiah 16:7 is connected to a wall, the vines climbing the wall, and
in Hosea 3:1 I read it as an indirect reference to the products of the vine,
in particular alcohol (wine).

My understanding of ancient viticulture is that the vine usually just lay out
on the ground, modern viticulture, particularly in Europe and the U.S.,
usually has the vines climbing a wall or fence. My reading is that the )$Y$
as a masculine noun refered to a climbing vine, while a GPN a standard on the
ground vine.

)$$ occures only once, in the hitpael, so could this refer to “raise
yourselves above” or “raise yourselves up”? That seems to fit the connection
with the climbing vine and it would have a cognative relationship to the
Arabic as well.

The context of )$Y$H as a feminine noun, seems to indicate that it was a type
of food, most likely connected with grapes or raisins, but beyond that we are
guessing.

As for )$PR, your guess is as good as mine.

Thanks for looking up.

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm