b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Samuel 6:19 'date cake' & 'raisin cake'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Samuel 6:19 'date cake' & 'raisin cake'
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:03:55 +0100

On 21/09/2004 19:43, Karl Randolph wrote:

Brian:

The problem is that neither word is used in a context that clearly shows the
definitions.

)$Y$H is used only 3 times, )$PR only twice. Unless there is a clear
definition from cognate languages and/or early translations, to define these
words is guess work.

)$Y$H seems related to )$Y$ which is a grape vine, or maybe a variety
thereof, so it makes sense that it has something to do with raisins, possibly
a type of fruitcake.

Any clues from cognates or translations?

I never thought I would see you ask that question, Karl!

But in this case, not much, according to my BDB. )$YSH might be related to Arabic 'ss "found, establish" (which fits better with the verb form in Isaiah 46:8), but if so the semantic link is distant to say the least. And no link is suggested for )$PR, although of course it might be related to $PR "be beautiful".

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)