b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Passive/reflex verbs don't take suffixes??

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Passive/reflex verbs don't take suffixes??
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:38:39 -0500

Dear Chris,

Please could someone clear up a minor confusion for me, OR a mistake on my
part!

Weingreen (Oxford Hebrew Grammar) writes: "It will be understood that ONLY
the active verbs can take suffixes, niphal, pual, hophal and hitpael are
passives/reflexives and cannot govern an object..." he then proceeds to make
ONLY ONE exception (an infinitive construct, 'his being burned).

I read then prov 2:22 and discover a NIPHAL with a suffix. i then proceed
to check in Shoshan's concordance and lo and behold -- loads more niphals
with suffixes. gesenius also mentions prov 2:22 as being a passive
consttuction sentence.

What have I missed????

HH: There is no Niphal suffix in Prov 2:22. That is a third plural ending of the verb.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard