b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Passive/reflex verbs don't take suffixes??

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jerry Shepherd" <jerry.shepherd AT taylor-edu.ca>
  • To: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>, "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Passive/reflex verbs don't take suffixes??
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:25:14 -0600

Hi Chris,

Two things. First, I don't see a niphal verb in Prov 2:22 with an
object suffix. The "sufformative" on the niphal verb in that verse
simply indicates the p/g/# of the verb itself.

Second, Weingreen is certainly right, at least in principle, that a
niphal verb should not take an object. The exception he notes is not
really an exception, because the suffix in his example is not the object
but rather the "owner" of the action. In other words, the infinitive
construct is in construct with the pronominal suffix. At least that's
the way I see it. Perhaps there are others on the list who see it or
explain it differently.

Berachot,

Jerry

Dr. Jerry E. Shepherd