b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Passive/reflex verbs don't take suffixes??

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Passive/reflex verbs don't take suffixes??
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 10:02:46 -0500

Dear Peter,

Yesterday I wrote:

Ps 42:5 looks like an odd form.

I apologize. i was looking at the English verse numbering and so not at the right Hebrew verse. The problem with Weingreen's assertion, I think, is that the Hithpael is not always either strictly passive or reflexive. Ps 42:5 is a place where it seems to have a more active meaning. Note this comment in GKC #54f(c) with regard to the Hithpael and reciprocal action: "It more often indicates an action less directly affecting the subject, and describes it as performed with regard to or for oneself, in own's own special interest. Hithpael (see Niphal #51e) in such cases readily takes an accusative."

A number of verse references are given at this point, one of them being Isa 14:2, which you have in your list of suffixed verbs. The same would probably be the case for Ps 42:5, if a repointing to Piel is not correct, as DCH suggests might be the need, among other suggestions. But the reciprocal idea of the Hithpael as described above seems applicable to leading others to the temple.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Weingreen is almost but not completely correct. From a search of the Westminster Hebrew Morphology, not the latest version, I found just 9 cases in the Hebrew Bible of an object suffix on a nifal, hophal or hithpael finite verb (none for pual). I restricted the search to finite verbs ("perfect", "imperfect", vav consecutive and imperative). Here are the results of my search of the raw database:

...>grep "\@v[nPHt][piwv].*X[0-9]" *.wts
*** FILE 02ex.wts:
ex20:5,4.1 TF(FB:D/"^M^ (BD@vHi2msX3mp
ex23:24,4.1 TF^(FB:D/"^M (BD@vHi2msX3mp