b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Passive/reflex verbs don't take suffixes??

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Passive/reflex verbs don't take suffixes??
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:25:14 -0500

Dear Peter,

Weingreen is almost but not completely correct. From a search of the Westminster Hebrew Morphology, not the latest version, I found just 9 cases in the Hebrew Bible of an object suffix on a nifal, hophal or hithpael finite verb (none for pual). I restricted the search to finite verbs ("perfect", "imperfect", vav consecutive and imperative). Here are the results of my search of the raw database:

...>grep "\@v[nPHt][piwv].*X[0-9]" *.wts
*** FILE 02ex.wts:
ex20:5,4.1 TF(FB:D/"^M^ (BD@vHi2msX3mp
ex23:24,4.1 TF^(FB:D/"^M (BD@vHi2msX3mp

*** FILE 05dt.wts:
dt5:9,4.1 TF(FB:D/"^M^ (BD@vHi2msX3mp
dt13:3,13.2 NF^(FB:D/"^M (BD@vHi1cpX3mp{1}Cm

*** FILE 102s.wts:
2s21:5,8.1 NI$:MA^D:NW. $MD@vnp3msX1cp

*** FILE 19ps.wts:
ps42:5,9.1 )ED.AD./"^M D.DH@vti1csX3mp
ps109:3,4.2 Y.I^L.FX:AM^W./NIY LXM_1@vnw3mpX1cs

*** FILE 23is.wts:
is14:2,5.2 HI^T:NAX:AL^W./M NXL@vtp3cpX3mp{2}
is44:21,11.1 TIN.F$/"^NIY N$H@vni2msX1cs

HH: A lot of these seem a peculiar form of the Qal rather than a Hophal (Ex 20:5; Dt 5:9; Ex 23:24; Dt 13:3. So Keil, citing Ewald #251d, and see also GKC #60b. Gesenius guesses that the Masoretes may have intended a Hophal, but I think it is a Qal. While BDB list these as Hophals, they cite several authorities who take them as Qals.

There seem to be anomalies elsewhere, though I don't have time now to check (Ps 42:5 looks like an odd form; Is 44:21 is given a variant understanding (not as a Niphal) in GKC #117x.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

--
Peter Kirk