b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Attributive Genitive? (Ex 35:19)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Attributive Genitive? (Ex 35:19)
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 15:18:39 -0400

Hi Peter, You wrote:

> It seems to me that Bryan is making the error we discussed not long ago
> of trying to classify "genitive" relationships. Or perhaps rather that
> he is only allowing a single classification.

Actually neither. I am questioning one of the "species of genitives" in
certain texts.

<noted and snipped>

> So the syntactic parallelism between _bigdey hassrad_ and _bigdey
> haqqodesh_ should not be taken as implying that there must be a semantic
> parallelism.

It seems natural to assume a semantic parallelism if that parallelism makes
perfect sense in context, at least until we hear good reason to do
otherwise.

>There may be; but on the traditional understanding of this
> verse there is not, and I see no good reason for finding a different
> understanding.

Speaking of traditional understanding, Rashi says the following of the
expression _ubigdey haqqodesh_ in Exo 29:29: "`al yedey habbegadiym hu'
mitlabbesh bikhunnah gedolah," that is, "*By means of the garments* he
became invested with the high-priesthood" (emphasis mine).

shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church