b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Attributive Genitive? (Ex 35:19)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Attributive Genitive? (Ex 35:19)
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 09:11:19 -0400

Hi Clay, You wrote:

> On 9/4/04 7:26 PM, "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > It is interesting that with the noun-noun chain bigdey hassrad in Ex
35:19
> > we *cannot* accept that the genitive hassrad is attributive. The
semantics
> > of hassrad force us to see it as an expression of purpose, *like I
alledge
> > for haqqodesh*.
> >

> I don't follow you, so I will let someone else comment on this.

Sorry, I'll explain. In Ex 35:19 we have two <noun-noun> chains, _bigdey
hassrad_ and _bigdey haqqodesh_ (actually, I think there is a third chain in
the verse, but I'll ignore it for now). When I say for the first chain that
the genitive _hassrad_ cannot be attributive, I mean that the genitive
cannot signify that the garments are "servant-like." Servant-like garments
are incomprehensible. Rather, _hassrad_ signifies that the garments are for
the purpose of serving. I suggest, for the second chain, the same
relationship between the elements--not that the garments are holy (even
though holy garments may be comprehensible or traditional), but that they
have the purpose of consecrating the priesthood.

To me the difference between the interpretations seems important.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church