b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Shishak

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Shishak
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:28:38 +0100

On 22/08/2004 12:32, Yigal Levin wrote:

3. Is there any independent evidence for the date of his campaign to Israel,
that is NOT based on the biblical description?

To return to this question, David Rohl lists Sheshonk I as a contemporary of Abibaal of Byblos, on the basis of a throne base found at Byblos with Shoshenq's cartouches surrounded by the following Phoenician text (transliterated as if it were unpointed Hebrew, # = shin):

M# ZN#) )BB(L MLK GBL
SK?GBL BMCRM LB(LTGBL T)RK YM )BB(L W#NTW (LGBL

? which Abibaal king of Byblos set up
(Protection? of Byblos?) in Egypt to Baalat-Gebal
May she prolong the days of Abibaal and his years over Byblos

Rohl suggests that this Abibaal's great-grandson was Shipitbaal, a contemporary of Tiglath-Pileser III of Assyria dated to 738 BCE. Partly on this basis he dates Sheshonk I to around 800 BCE, and identifies him, campaigning in Israel, with the saviour of Israel in 2 Kings 13:5 who is also dated to around 800 BCE.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)