b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Shishak (was:book)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Shishak (was:book)
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:32:22 +0200

Thanks, Martin, the review is about what I would say after reading about two
thirds through (which seems to be what the reviewer did as well, since he
does not mention the last couple of sections) - some good ideas and good
summaries of previous work, but not enough careful scholarship.

And now a few questions:

1. What's the conventional wisdom on the length of Sheshonq I's reign?
Manetho gives him 21 years, and the Silsileh quarry inscription is dated to
his 21st year. However Wente and Redford claim that he ruled 33 years.

2. What is the correct spelling of his name: Shoshenq, Sheshonq or Shoshenk?
I know that the Egyptian is written almost without vowels - so how could
anyone know? What are the reasons for translating the final consonant as Q
or K?

3. Is there any independent evidence for the date of his campaign to Israel,
that is NOT based on the biblical description?

Thank y'all.

Yigal