b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Ark of the Covenant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Banyai AT t-online.de (Michael Banyai)
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Ark of the Covenant
  • Date: 18 Aug 2004 06:21 GMT

Dear Marianne,

you are probably wrong asserting that:

>Even the ancient historians couldn't
> agree just when Moses had lived. But they were unanymous on one
> point--that
> he lived within the 18th Dynasty, which began with Ahmose I (who fought the
> Hyksos) and ended when the first Ramesside king took the throne--that being
> Ramesses I.

Should you have your Helck, "Untersuchungen zu Manetho", handy you could read
that at least 7 late antique sources coincided linking Moses with a 13-th
dynasty pharaoh.

Insofar could be Manetho´s Tuthimose a confusion with the Dudimose of the
13-th dynasty too. What concerns a lowering of the middle Egyptian
chronology, this is probably unnecessary, against Rohl´s own suppositions.
Not the Egyptian chronology is in this segment remarkably lower, but the
Hebrew much higher as commonly assumed. The probable date of the Exodus being
1622 BC, as calculated on several independent ways. Very probably coinciding
with the eruption of Thera commonly held for 1618 BC or so.

Dealing with a possible date for the exodus within the MBA II has nothing to
do with Rohl, but with a chronological option which has till now been
excluded out of intelectual comodity. It was too simple to identify Ramses
III with the pharaoh of the Exodus on the superficial basis of the calling of
a city Pi-Ramesse in Genesis, (a city with a much longer history beginning
in the MB II - the date of its real founding). Instead of asking when the
construction of the city of Pi-Ramesse, founded by the hebrew labourers, is
attested, one asked after the date of the name, which evidently is no
chronologic marker. So did Petersburg change to Leningrad, still being the
same city. The whole literature official of the comunist age could however
have mentioned this city as Leningrad unaware of the period one had to deal
with.

Best regards,

Bányai Michael
Stuttgart