b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ark of the Covenant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brian Roberts <formoria AT carolina.rr.com>
  • To: "Walter R. Mattfeld" <mattfeld12 AT charter.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ark of the Covenant
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:38:45 -0400

I don't think anyone here doubts that the Ark of the Covenant exemplified Egyptian influences in its design and form.

I think that, although it is fun to speculate regarding which Dynasty influenced the Hebrews the most artistically, it's not very fruitful. Personally, I don't think it will be so until we have a conclusive time window for a mass Hebrew presence/exodus from Egypt. Until then, we can suggest connections from the Early Bronze Age until the Persian period, but what is the point?

Best Salaams,

Brian