b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew plural

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew plural
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:15:32 -0500

John:

I noticed that it is not uncommon for people who are in a superior status,
such as master or lord, are often referred to in the plural when a single
individual is meant. I first noticed it while reading through Deuteronomy,
but it is found in other places as well.

I don’t think it is the royal plural, but I have no explanation for it.

Karl W. Randolph.