b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 21:14 KPH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Trevor Peterson <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 21:14 KPH
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:40:54 +0100

On 23/07/2004 10:44, Trevor Peterson wrote:

... And even if we take a neutral idea, to "bend" anger would be to
divert it from some course. Now, logically that could mean to divert
anger that would have come but is now turned away. For your meaning, it
would have to be an idea something like, anger that would have been
directed elsewhere (but where?) is now diverted to the matter in
question. ...

Well, it could mean something rather different. The anger is simply diverted to other parties. The two who are reconciled by a bribe are no longer angry with one another, but it is likely that others will become angry, not only if they find out about the bribe but when they discover that their rights or interests are ignored, because of the bribe although they don't know that. (And I know what I am talking about - I have lived in a country where bribery is rampant, and people often find that they can't get their due and suspect that is because someone else has bribed the official against them.)

But, Karl, I have to agree that the best evidence is for the traditional understanding. Perhaps if it is rendered as "a bribe diverts anger", it leaves open the possibility that anger will not necessarily be pacified, but may break out elsewhere as a result.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)