b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 21:14 KPH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 21:14 KPH
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:22:34 -0500

Dave and Trevor:

If KPH had the original meaning of “to bend”, why not mean bending towards,
hence resulting in or causing, or even tending towards? Yes, I know that the
idea of perverting justice is a bit of an eisegesis, but I see it implied by
the hiding of the bribe. The hiding implies that there is something shady
about it, something that neither party wants to be known outside of the giver
and the givee. Where one finds hidden bribes, there one usually finds
perversion of justice, and anger, even strong fury.

The concept of hiding also implies a third party or parties who are part of
the transaction, but who are not to be privy to the whole picture, in
particular to the reason justice is twisted.

If the gift were to be a sort of MNXH “propitiatory gift” as implied by
“bribe” in Proverbs 6:35, there’s no reason to hide it. That’s why I find the
idea of bending away, hence deflection, of anger not making sense.

This looks like a case similar to $KX &#1513;&#1499;&#1495; where if we were
to take the Aramaic meaning of finding, we would not have the correct meaning
in Biblical Hebrew.

Karl W. Randolph.