b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 21:14 KPH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 21:14 KPH
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:30:21 +0100

On 21/07/2004 23:17, Karl Randolph wrote:

To All:

This is a hapax legomai lexeme in Tanakh, do we have any clues as to its
definition?

“A gift in secret ??? anger, and a bribe in the bosom (???) strong fury.”

Why is the gift in secret, unless neither the giver nor the givee want it to
be known that the gift was made? Why wouldn’t they want the gift to be known?

Because it's a bribe, as the synonymous parallel makes clear.

... Similarly, a bribe in the bosom is being hidden. Why, if not to pervert
justice? What is the typical reaction when people see injustice being
practiced, if not fury?

Absolutely.

Hence, from the context, I read this term as having the definition of
“excite” or “inflame”.

Well, it could simply mean "causes" or "results in".

Is there any clue from cognate languages or elsewhere that would override the
contextual clues?

Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk AT qaya.org (work)