b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 21:14 KPH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 21:14 KPH
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:27:51 -0400

Karl Randolph wrote:

Why is the gift in secret, unless neither the giver nor the givee want it to
be known that the gift was made? Why wouldn’t they want the gift to be known?
Similarly, a bribe in the bosom is being hidden. Why, if not to pervert
justice? What is the typical reaction when people see injustice being
practiced, if not fury?

Hence, from the context, I read this term as having the definition of
“excite” or “inflame”.

You're assuming that the anger is from onlookers. But if it's being done in secret, why would you even assume that? I would think it's at least as likely that the anger referred to is that of the one who receives the bribe. In this case, the meaning of the verb would most likely be the opposite of what you suppose.

Is there any clue from cognate languages or elsewhere that would override the
contextual clues?

later Hebrew, all major strands of Aramaic, Arabic, and Akkadian--to bend, overturn

Note also the positive assessment of bribes in Prov 17:8. We can argue about whether Proverbs endorses bribery or not, but I think it's fairly safe to say that it acknowledges what a bribe can achieve.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics