b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Explain translation of "Asherah" as "grove" in 2 Kings 23.7?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Explain translation of "Asherah" as "grove" in 2 Kings 23.7?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 02:28:19 -0500

I researched "grove" in Strong's. Searched KJV, as nearly as I can tell.

There are more than 40 occurrences of "grove". IN one, in Genesis or
Exodus, "grove" is the translation given to a word tha tmeans stand of
trees.

IN all other cases "grove" is the translation given "Asherah" with absolute
consistency.

In one such case, the Asherah is described as if it were a grove of trees.
In every other cases that mentions a grove of trees, which is many of them,
the Asherah was built under a stand of green trees. It wasn't a tree
itself. It was cut down - but it was also built, and not planted.

In many cases, having an Asherah, often on a high place and often under
trees, was the only sin a king or others committed.

In many cases, an idol or "image" was also tehre. Sometimes the word
translated as idol or image actually meant idol or image. More than half
the time the word that was translated as Idol or image actually meant a
stone pillar. In two cases, both in Isaiah, it meant a SUN pillar.

Josiah also called the people of Israel to ratify a new covenant with Yahweh
at a stone pillar. They were ubiquitous living or divine symbols of some
kind. The stone pillar could witness a covenant.

In some cases Baal is associated with the Asherah - atleast by these
authors! They weren't going to admit that Asherah was an aspect of
Yahwism.

OK, now my question. How did "Asherah" get to be translated as "grove"?
Apparently she wasn't even represented as a grove!

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra AT austin.rr.com