b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Explain translation of "Asherah" as "grove" in 2 Kings 23.7?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Explain translation of "Asherah" as "grove" in 2 Kings 23.7?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 01:20:48 -0500

OK, having finally finished processing my bird photos, I got out my Strong's
CD - and what do I learn.

The word translated as Grove is quite literally, in the Hebrew, "Asherah".

Asherah was the wife of Yahweh. Also of Baal. I know tht she was
worshipped in the sacred groves.

But how does the name Asherah come to be TRANSLATED as grove?

This is an extremely important question. It isn't clear to me where a
grove comes into it when what is named is specifically Asherah. And Walter
is claiming on all of the lists that they were actually talking about
Egyptian stone pillars. And all that is mentioned by name is Asherah
herself.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas