b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] DWD or DWYD, YHDH or YHWDH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] DWD or DWYD, YHDH or YHWDH
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 02:23:15 +0200

Thanks Patrina, I remember seeing that, but I guess it didn't sink in. So
the question is, why is the Tanakh so consistant about the longer spelling,
when we now KNOW that the short spelling was perfectly acceptable in the
late 8th century? Probably because very little of the biblical text was
written in the form in which we have it that early. And by the time it was,
the accepetd spelling was YHWDH.

Think of the name "Zebulun". It's spelled ZBWLN - never (as far as I
remember) ZBLWN, ZBLN or ZBWLWN.

Yigal