b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHDH or YHWDH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHDH or YHWDH
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:08:04 +0200

According to Judah's birth-story in Gen. 29:35, his name is derived
from )WDH - "odeh", "thank" (the Lord), root Y/WDH. Whether or not this
etymology is historically correct, it very well may be that to Judahites of
the 7th century, the W in YHWDH was considered a root consonant, and so
would not be omitted. Once again, could be that a century earlier this
etymology was not yet known. To Aramaic-speaking Persian officials of the
5th century, the etymology was irrelevant.

By the way, Patrina, I'd be careful before getting too excited about
anything published in BAR, that has not yet been published in a more
professional journal. While Robert Deutsch is a serious epigrapher, so is
Andre Lameir, of "James" fame. BAR has a record of publishing sensations.

Yigal