b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] DWD or DWYD, YHDH or YHWDH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Patrina" <patrina AT bestmail.us>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] DWD or DWYD, YHDH or YHWDH
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:12:56 +0900

Dear Yigdal

Hezekiah's seals were featured in Biblical Archaeology Review
Volume 28, Number 4, July/August 2002, Pp 42-51, 60 and can be found in
a web article at:

http://rd.archaeological-center.com/articles/13.shtml

There are several pics of the seals there, all showing a spelling of
YHDH in paleo-hebrew between the wingtips of the scarab. If the verbal
root originally included a waw as suggested by HH, it would seem strange
to have dropped out during the time of Hezekiah extra-biblically, or to
have been spelled with a mater in the formal anals of his reign (and
priestly records such as the biblical texts) but not on official seals?

I've been thinking about the spelling issue for quite a while, because
it impacts on dating of all the texts containing the word YHWDH.

Patrina Nuske Small
Adelaide, South Australia