b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] EREB-BOKER in Daniel 8:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Eduard C Hanganu" <eddhanganu AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] EREB-BOKER in Daniel 8:14
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 17:31:56 -0500

Dear Ben:

Thanks for your answer. From what you wrote to me I understand that there seems to be a lot of confusion concerning the meaning of the Hebrew phrase "EREB-BOKER" and its interpretation. Personally I am only interested in the meaning of the phrase in the context of Daniel 8 and I don't care about any interpretation cults make up for the phrase. As a linguist ( I have a BA and Ma in linguistics, but my knowledge of Hebrew is basic to intermediary only) I believe that the meaning of a word is provided by its immediate context, because the Bible explains itself. I was hoping that the more experienced members of the "b-hebrew" forum would be able to shed more light on the phrase than I personally could by using the BDB or other Hebrew language dictionaries. I guess I will have to continue looking for the clues to the meaning of the phrase "EREB-BOKER" in the context of Daniel 8 and find out what what are the lingustic decoders provided by the the semantic unit that contains the phrase ( Daniel 8:9-14.)

Thanks for your help!

Eduard