b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: EREB-BOKER in Daniel 8:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Eduard C Hanganu" <eddhanganu AT hotmail.com>
  • To: gfsomsel AT juno.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: EREB-BOKER in Daniel 8:14
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:32:22 -0500

Dear Mr. Somsel:

Thanks for your help with this. It makes good sense.

Regards,

Eduard

From: "George F. Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
To: eddhanganu AT hotmail.com
CC: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:39:31 -0400

This is fairly obviously referring to the desecration of the temple by
Antiochus Epiphanes. I base my comment upon the history rather than upon
a purely lexical or grammatical basis. According to the Anchor Bible
Dictionary the temple was cleansed 3 yrs to the day after it had been
desecrated. 2300 days would be ~6 1/3+ yrs if based on a 360 day year
and ~6 1/3- yrs based on a 365 day year. I would therefore suspect that
what is in view is a total combining days + evenings which would more
nearly approximate 3 yrs (perhaps rounded to 2,300?). Whether one takes
this as a predictive prophecy or as post eventum, it is to be expected
that it should conform closely to reality.

gfsomsel
_________